Thursday, July 17, 2008

Just Smile

A Summer Re-run (originally posted 6/13/07)

So, the Legos, Hot Wheels, dolls and doll clothes are scattered all over your house. You move the furniture, and there they are……You walk into the kitchen at night and nearly break your neck stepping on a Hot Wheels.

Maybe at your house it’s Dora stuff, Transformers and miscellaneous McDonald’s toys. And you wait for the day when those things no longer clutter your home, right?

WRONG! Guess what? I don’t think they EVER go away!

But, finding those surprises is more a delight to me now, because it means that my grandchildren have visited.

I’ve learned that things that used to bother me really aren’t all that important any more. I’m choosing bigger issues to deal with and not sweating the small ones as much. Learning to “lighten up”, as my husband used to encourage me to do.

And I know there may come a day when my house is too quiet, too clean and too empty. So, for now, when I find those small toys in unpredictable places, I remember the fun my children and grandchildren had playing with them……and I smile.

Now, finding my teen boys’ dirty socks in the living room is another story…..


Picture taken Mother's Day 2007

6 comments:

  1. My mom died in February 2006. She had 4 grandbabies (6, 5, 4, 2) at the time. Since that time, there is another one in the mix. Just makes my heart glow when I see moms, grandma's, etc. appreciate those little hands and feet so much. We are but a breathe and we get one chance to enjoy it! I am so thankful that you are and you are passing it onto those next generations! Praise God for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwwww my girls are so little!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe it's been a year! I remember when I read that the first time. Thanks for the many meadows. It was as fresh today as it was then.

    Let's see, our house: legos, army men and, today, a hair barrette stuck in my foot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. Again, thanks. Thanks for pouring into my life even when you don't always know you are doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to get there. I want to be a small part of that.

    You are so very very blessed!!!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment!