Monday, June 04, 2007

Treasures

My daughter, Katie, who is to be married on July 12 had a wedding shower yesterday. It was a fun-filled time with lots of friends, gifts and a bit of really good food. But what I came away with was more than just the good feeling of my daughter being blessed with many wonderful and helpful gifts. I had the pleasure of witnessing and overhearing many other gifts being given. The gifts of blessing as one woman would share the love of Christ in the form of encouragement to another woman. I remember overhearing the conversation of an older mother encouraging a younger mother that her calling as a mom and wife is far above the calling of her former passions. Another involved two church employees sharing the joys and struggles of being involved in full-time ministry. Another, of a group of homeschooling moms talking about how difficult it is raising teenagers, but that our children’s choices do not affect the calling that God has placed on our lives. The great-grandmothers sharing the joy of seeing their grandchildren marry; the flower girls making friends of each other. And just the blending of two families (both homeschooling families) joining in the anticipation of their children becoming a new family. Those are the best sorts of gifts---treasures wrapped in layers of unconditional love and affection. But, after 34 years of marriage, I still think I need to go register for some new wedding gifts for myself!

2 Corinthians 4:7 “For we have this treasure in earthen vessels….”

4 comments:

  1. How interesting (and wonderful) that they're both from homeschooling families!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really is! And their thoughts and values are so much alike.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How sweet. That really encourages me. Sometimes, I wonder how my girls will ever find someone to marry in this crazy world!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pray, pray and pray some more! Changed hearts seek other changed hearts. Unchanged hearts seek unchanged hearts. I've witnessed it both ways, unfortunately. And start praying for your girls mates RIGHT NOW! Some mom and dad need your prayers for raising up their young man to be a man of God for your little girl. It seems a long way off now, but it will be here sooner than you can imagine!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment!