Tuesday, December 16, 2008

The Best Gift - Kindness

480319983_9910bc477d


There is a story of an old man who carried a small can of oil with him everywhere he went.  If he passed through a squeaky door, he would pour a little oil on the old hinge.  And if he found a gate hard to open, he’d oil the latch, making it easier for those who came after him.

 

Many people we encounter each day are like those latches and gates.   They may be cranky, and difficult to deal with, hardened from life’s circumstances.



They need the oil of mercy, kindness, gentleness and patience. 2401162307_ea7e1d63a4



While you stand in long lines and deal with tired cashiers, or maybe head home to spend the holidays with your unsaved family, what will be in your oil can?



Our lives may only touch others but once. Will you make their way easier?



During this hectic holiday season, may our countenance and our heart reflect the One who came to give us Life. 



Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.  Col. 3:12


wendys-wedding-018-edit_edited-2





Robin

8 comments:

  1. I love this story. It is so true...our kindness can change someone's mood. Then when they go home they will be a little kinder to their spouse who will be a little more patient with their child who really needs someone to listen to the burdens on her heart. We never know just how far our kind word will ripple into the lives of other people....I pray that I can remember this story in the days ahead and go ahead and "oil" those around me. A smile is such an easy a gift to give.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, yes we are Lifers...hubby and I met there, engaged there, baptized babies there, you name it! We have been chasing after God's heart together ever since! :) Thank you for your kind comments on my blog, it is a work in progress. I stumbled on your blog after I found your twitter which I found through my hubs twitter and he says he only found you because you lived in Edmond! Funny how paths cross, huh? I really liked you blog and is so close to what my husband and I are wanting to do as a family blog. Something our older kids and other relatives can contribute to. Anyways, we are at OKC, we serve at the 10 o'clock. Look forward to getting to know you better...keep up the great posts! And what a cute family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of being an oil can! I hope I am!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know how many times that someone will serve me and I will say thank you very much, have a nice day, and you just see their eyes light up. It is like no one has been nice to them all day. Makes me sad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I am so an oil can today. :) Or I'm gonna be from here on out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My gift is acts of service and to see some sad or have a look of worry on there face makes go up and ask how they are doing. I hate to see people hurting. I do try and make a point to use the cashiers name when at any store and ask how their day is going...I tend to do that everywhere I go...but don't get me wrong...there are times when I am the one who needs the kind word or a hug to let me know someone cares. I read above a smile...It is amazing how much a smile and a kind word can do. People say that Christmas is a time of giving but is also seems like it brings out the worst in people...

    ReplyDelete
  7. At Walmart, I was so tired at the end of a shopping day. I kept dropping stuff and was inwardly getting frustrated when I noticed the cashier was looking quite depressed. I remembered the oil can story and smiled to myself. I set aside my crankiness and made a point to bring a little cheer her way. Thought I would let you know how your story reached out and touched a cashier at Walmart.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment!