Monday, December 15, 2008

The Best Gift - Your Time

november-108A deeper appreciation of my time came during all my crafting for Christmas this month. I can’t say that I’m all that talented, but I really do enjoy planning and fashioning things for the people in my life. Tote bags are kind of my theme for the year and while I’ve had a great time of it after making my 17th tote bag in the last month or so, I am getting a bit weary! Sitting there monotonously sewing on those bags led me to reflecting on my true intentions for wanting to make the gifts that I give.


december-090


These days when time is money it is much more of a sacrifice to take that extra time to plan and create instead of just grabbing things off the shelf. As a young girl and then young wife I did handmade gifts more for financial reasons. Now when I could more afford to go buy people presents I found the desire to craft a gift went much deeper than just the money. This was a time to creatively labor with my own hands to produce something that is accomplished through personal frustration and triumph. Something that has the special touch of a person who knows that one that they are creating for. Whether it means as much to the person on my list or not, it has deep significance for me.



This also led me to think about the gift of my time all throughout the year. Sure I spend lots of time cleaning, cooking and toiling for my family, but true sacrificial time with those that mean the most to me - Do I offer this gift enough? Many of us well-intentioned parents can probably say that yes they do spend time with their kids, but is it doing what you want to do or busy in school-learning-type time, or is it actually letting lose and doing just what that person wants to do?
Thankfully I can say that through a journey God took me through in my life a year ago, I now have learned to drop things and watch that football game with my husband or play “policeman” with my kids. Is it hard sometimes? Definitely! But this is what will matter someday. Let this season be a time to truly reflect on the best gift you can give year round. YOU . . . In the most sacrificial way you can give yourself . . . Your time.

fall-pics-013-copy

img_9591-1





Erin

Note:  That is my Great-grandmother's sewing machine.  I think she'd like it that I'm using it. :)

7 comments:

  1. Such Wisdom! Thank you Erin!

    I really have had to work on this. Spending time just to spend time. Not considering taking them grocery shopping with me as "spending time".

    I also concentrate on individual time with each child. Spending time doing something special with each child. I love my One on One time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet post and great reminder how special our time is. And, cute totes, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great reminder to "Be"...Wherever you are, BE there.

    I love my time with you. Thanks for investing in me this past year. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good stuff!

    I love that picture of your family! Adorable!

    Your crosses look awesome....I am so impressed!

    I love the bags they look great! Can you teach me to sew? I am hopeless with a sewing machine. Everything gets tangled and I get frustrated!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great post, Erin. Very wise.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww . . . you guys are so sweet. That's the best gift you can give me - words of affirmation.

    Abbi, I've loved our time together too and look forward to a lot more.

    Donna, of course I'll help you learn how to sew. Will you help me learn to paint?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great lessons in giving our time come from the worst situations sometimes. I am trying not to ignore my kids as I'm making sleep pants. I sew too, and those are my Christmas gifts. I love spending time with my kids and I still feel like its slipping away from me to fast.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment!