Monday, December 22, 2008

Home (?) for the Holidays

The feelings of unrest have already started.  There are thoughts of dread, a lack of peace and you’re already anticipating the worst.  Is there no other alternative? 

No.  It’s happening again this year. 

You are going home for the holidays.

Once again you’ll be around those who are supposed to be your support system, but instead they tear you down.  The air will be thick with years of no forgiveness.  Strikes of unkind words will be sent your way. The lies begin:  “I am unloved, my family doesn’t ‘get me’, why is this my family?”

And you’ve been on my heart this week.

How can it be different this year? 

Begin to

Pray

Don’t underestimate the power your prayers have for change…in you, in your family.

For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened.  Matt. 7:8

Know that the power of the Holy Spirit will be with you

God can do anything, you know—far more than you could ever imagine or guess or request in your wildest dreams! He does it not by pushing us around but by working within us, his Spirit deeply and gently within us. Eph. 3:20-21

His divine power has given us everything we need for a godly life through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. II Pet. 1:3

 

Wear love and forgiveness

So, chosen by God for this new life of love, dress in the wardrobe God picked out for you: compassion, kindness, humility, quiet strength, discipline. Be even-tempered, content with second place, quick to forgive an offense. Forgive as quickly and completely as the Master forgave you. And regardless of what else you put on, wear love. It's your basic, all-purpose garment. Never be without it. Col. 3:12-14

Know this.  Your circumstances may never change, but your heart can.

Go with a smile in your heart.  We’ll be praying for you.

 wendys-wedding-018-edit_edited-21



Robin

6 comments:

  1. I just love you. That post should get national attention. It should hang on every bulletin board in every college!

    Wishing All of the Many Meadows a wonderful Christmas. I am pretty sure that yours that are coming home aren't worried about you "getting" them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad I have a loving family to go home to...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Helena Romanow12/23/08, 3:59 AM

    For me the holiday season seems so crazy but this year it will be different. Though I give myself to Christ back in 99', I was trying to "have my cake and eat it too", I wanted to walk with God but at the same time, I still wanted to party and have fun. Moving to NW OKC, I found that I can walk with God and still have fun. My home life at this point is somewhat crazy. A finace who changed his mind, a mother who wishes not to speak to me, a brother who will take our mothers side. ...but that is okay...because I know that their are people out there that love me for who I am and for who I have become. My friends are my family and I have a son who loves me no matter what....Home for the holidays can be any place that you feel like you are loved. This all might not make sense to some of you and I am sorry for that...I guess what I mean is that it doesn't matter how screwed up your life is....God loves you anyway and he is my father and I want to make him proud of me...because one day...he will say...Job well done my child...
    May Gods love shine in each and everyones heart this holiday season....Many Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful post! Unfortunately, many times it's true. Tomorrow, I will meet with my siblings and their families to have our Christmas. My parents are both gone, but we are family, no less. I love my family and they are absolutely the best. Our parents loved the Lord and taught us to love Him and to love our family. We are there for each other, through the good and the bad and I'm so thankful that God permitted me to be one in this great family!
    In His Love and Blessings,
    annb

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year's Eve!

    I stayed home with my immediate family for Christmas this year. My married daughter and her husband and my oldest son came HERE for the holidays...guess I am now the "going home" place. We had a wonderful time despite two of us getting throw up sick the day after Christmas...they just stayed in the back bedroom for a day coming out only for runs to the bathroom and popscicles. They brought the bug from his parents who were at their house doing the same thing. Thankfully, none of the rest of us got sick.
    God is good and I can't wait to see what He has planned for us in 2009.

    ReplyDelete
  6. jimmy paravane1/4/09, 3:54 AM

    If family doesn't test the heart, nothing will.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment!