Monday, January 26, 2009

Heritage: Pioneers

God led our family to be pioneers in many ways.  While I always just wanted to be “normal”, God didn’t call our family to be that way. I got so tired of EVERY aspect of our lives being so weird.

 

We lived in the country, we homeschooled, we gardened and raised “meat” for most of our food, we had a large family, all the siblings were born at home, we drove an ugly station wagon, we built our own house, we didn’t buy things that weren’t in the budget, we ate health food. (We did not wear denim jumpers though - and we did cut our hair, so we didn’t really fit in to the norm on either side of the spectrum). The majority of our experiences were centered around the pioneering of the land where our family lived.

 

In our rearing, we watched and worked right alongside my parents learning life lessons as we put our mark on the buildings now standing, the vegetables we ate, the paths we cleared out on this 20 acres we moved to over 24 years ago.
I bucked hard against this calling my parents said they had been given by God. I remember looking at other families and wishing if only I had been born into another family, I would be more content.

 

What was I doing in this family? I hated bugs, frogs and snakes. I hated dirt in my fingernails. I hated having to constantly keep up with younger siblings as we worked the land. I moaned, I complained, I rebelled. My parents never gave in or felt sorry for me. They persevered in their calling and continued to teach me that God had put me in this family for a reason.

 

Along with these lessons we were being trained in perseverance, hard work, and determination as we toiled side-by-side with my parents to generate the way we lived from the things God had given us. This education has trickled down to each of us children as we have gone on to do other things with our lives, tackling our new callings with the same excellence.

 

And now I’m so thankful that my parents didn’t raise me to be “normal”. I now know a little bit more why satan tried to make me run from my family’s calling, but that’s a story for tomorrow.

 

Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect. Romans 12:2 NLT

 
Like my experience, is your family more focused on fitting into society than living out the special calling God has placed on you? If so, what are some things you can do to bring that focus back around?

img_9591-1

 

Erin

5 comments:

  1. I had to read this post out loud to my husband, Kris. He was born into a family of means - his dad is a doctor. But, he grew up on a large farm where he "worked the land." Some days, his chore was just to go pick up rocks off of the land. He has the BEST memories from growing up on a farm. And, his work ethic today shows what his parents instilled in him. He is passionate about his family and passionate about provision. I'm glad he worked the land growing up.

    Love this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so thankful for everything your parents did in 'pioneering' all through the years. I believe it fashioned you into the godly woman you are today and for that I am most grateful because Jon, Kaden and Will are so blessed to have you as wife and mother. Thank you Dirk and Robin for following the path that God set before you. You're still setting the example that we all need to follow. You are definitely authentic!

    Love all your posts, especially this one on heritage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So funny, that verse is the very verse God knocked me in the head with when I was resisting homeschooling because I didn't want to be weird. Now I like weird.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that verse, great post Erin! I still get a little weary of being weird, I was so rebellious when I was younger you think I would be used to it. Often I think of what I use to do to rebel for Satan, and am encouraged to rebel in what I am doing for God!

    Excited about your blog, your mom must be weeping proud!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment!