Sunday, March 22, 2009

The Best is Yet to Come

My husband recently said one of the nicest things he's ever said to me...and this from a man who frequently says some pretty nice things. 

"I think the best years of our marriage are yet to come".

 

Wow!  This is after 35....count them....35 years (this July) of  what has been an already great marriage. 

 

And yet, we know so many instances where friends and acquaintances have ended their marriage relationship about the time their kids are leaving home.  

Why does this happen?  Why after all those years of staying together?

 

We discussed these very questions after he said those endearing words. 

 

We decided it is because married couples lose their focus along the way.  Rather than being focused on each other they are focused on:

Kids

Jobs

Service outside the home

Hobbies and other interests

Outside activities

Other relationships

 

(This is, of course, besides your relationship to Christ.   And that is for another discussion).

 

It takes work, hard work,  to keep your focus on each other.  The world will offer many opportunities to get us off-track, to take our interests away from each other. 

I'm really not asking for your personal answers, but I want to leave you with a couple of questions to ask yourself: 

Is your focus on your mate?  Really on your mate?  What are you doing today that will ensure many tomorrows and "'til death do us part?"

mom4

 

 

Robin

5 comments:

  1. Craig and I are looking forward to the time when the kids are adults. A time when we can be a little more selfish with our time. I do feel blessed in my marriage. Craig is my best friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, I know the best years are yet to come. I love my husband more and more every day. I can honestly say I love him way more today than I did the day I married him. And I was crazy in love with him then! We make a point to the kids all the time that after God, I am Daddy's first priority. And Daddy is mine. We talk all the time. I'm not even kidding about that. Some times I have to remind him I need to teach his children so we need to get off the phone. :) We've been alot better lately about having more regular date nights. We make our "evening alone time" (ahem, if you know what I'm sayin') very important and special. We do things every day to show each other that we care. Like if I drive the suburban I put the seat all the way back and the pedals back to the floor so he doesn't have to adjust that when he gets in. He takes me to work at night because he knows my night vision is bad and I don't like to drive in the dark. There are so many things! Ok so I could go on and on, but we do make our marriage our focus after God. We know that the kids won't be here forever, and we are planning ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that Dirk. What a charmer. I'm blessed to get to marry Andrew and I'm glad he's just like his dad. :) Since I'm currently a 'part-time mom', it's easy to keep Andrew as my #1 priority...most of the week it's just us. I pray I can continue to intentionally keep him as my #1 focus (after God, of course) as we begin to build a family of our own and I have full-time mommy responsibilities. He deserves nothing less than 100% of my attention and affection. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this. Heck, I love Dirk, and I don't even know him! You've inspired me to do something special....out of the ordinary for Kris Takle today.

    Thank you. And, I'm sure Kris will thank you :-)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment!