Thursday, June 28, 2007

The Household Notebook

Several years ago, keeping track of all the information needed to run a home was more than I could keep in my overcrowded brain. When I came across the idea of a notebook that would help store that information, I decided to try it out.

The Household Notebook (aka in our home: Mom’s Brain) is a tool worth investigating for your own home. This is a 3-ring binder with page dividers and categories for the various areas of your home management.

My notebook includes:

· A monthly calendar
· A phone list (pre-cell phone days)
· Menus
· Master grocery list
· To do list (a current running list to remind me what needs to be done next)
· Videos that we want to see
· Books I want to read
· Teaching ideas
· Important numbers (a list of numbers including social security numbers, battery numbers, any numbers needed for quick reference)·

The notebook also holds a plastic zip pocket where I keep a couple of writing tools, and a pair of small scissors (so I can always find a pair!).

Maybe a notebook is a little outdated now, and your laptop and Microsoft Word would be a better place for you to store your needed information. However, my notebook has outlasted several crashed computers, and while I don’t use it nearly like I did when my kids were young, I still use the menu section on a regular basis. We’ll talk “menus” soon!

What are some notebook sections that would be helpful in your home?

1 comment:

  1. See what I've missed out on by not finiding you sooner?! I love notebooks...I have a Mom's brain but no zipper pocket...BUT I'VE GOT TO GET ONE! As much as I love my computer, I refuse to use any kind of electronic organization device like a palm pilot or whatever...give me pens so I can doodle or marvel at how great my handwriting is!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment!