Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Double-Dog Dare: 30 Meals in 30 Days

picky-girlLast year I had a free subscription to Cookie magazine. It's technically for parents, but the articles are really cool and artsy, so I read it. One story in particular spoke to me, especially since Andrew's daughters have become increasingly interested in cooking and "weird" foods. The article opens like this:
"I started making a list on the train home from work one night last fall. I was sitting there, racking my brain, in a mild panic, trying to decide what to cook for dinner that night. Here's what came to mind: nothing.

So I pulled out a piece of paper and wrote down all the meals I could make for my husband and two kids that didn't involve the toaster oven, or customizing plate after plate, or Gitmo-style negotiations before every microscopic bite ("If you don't try that pork/pea/basmati grain, no dessert! Okay. I'm counting to three...!"). The exercise didn't take very long. I stared in disbelief at the sad, sorry lot that was my culinary repertoire:

The sad, sorry lot:
Breaded chicken cutlets
Hamburgers
Pizza
Sautéed shrimp

Four meals. How was this possible? How had my mammoth archive of prekid dinners devolved into this grim little lineup?"

After making her list, the author made a pact with herself to get more creative in the kitchen and expose her kids to new things. I know this is an issue many parents can relate to. It seems that so many of us (especially us self-proclaimed BUSY folks) struggle to break out of culinary ruts sometimes...or we don't know how our families will respond if we attempt to do so.

For those of you with picky eaters in your house (whether it's your kids or your spouse!), I encourage you...no, I DARE YOU, to do a similar experiment in your household, maybe even making it a game if you must.

Read the full article here (make sure you see all of it...it's a few pages, including tips and suggested menus) and get 30-days' worth of recipes here.

Bon Appétit!

Are there picky eaters in your household? What's your favorite "weird" food? Are you going to accept my dare? :)

abbi1 ABBI

6 comments:

  1. I have a very picky eater and I am looking for new recipes.

    Thanks, Abbi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you have a picky eater, you'll especially like the authors tips on how to get this plan to work: In a sense, if the kids can't discern the difference (a new kind of meat, say) don't point it out...at least not until later. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with not telling them what it is...

    For a LONG while, our youngest just called everything chicken which was fine by me. It could be brown and covered in sauce and I would just say "Its dark meat" or "Its a new kind of chicken"....bless his little heart :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm excited to try the sweet potato lasagna!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My 4yo is my picky one. And, yes. Accepting your dare. Thanks. I needed this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excited to hear how this turns out for you guys!! If the recipes from the article are too "fancy", feel free to choose recipes of your own...just pick new ones you haven't tried before that will expose you and your families to new ingredients! :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment!