Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Attitudes: Exit the Comfort Zone

Last week, I asked a question about openness, which led to a second question:What are you going to do about being put here on this earth? If you agree with me about being open to learning righteousness then what will it take to accomplish what God wants of your life?  Openness is an attitude that we have to have every single day. I didn't say that you can't have your own opinions and beliefs but to think we have already learned everything leads us to an unhealthy comfort.

The next attitude we need to develop is removing ourselves from our comfort zone. "But it is so comfortable there", you say to yourself, "why would I want to do that?" It's the only way you will experience where you haven't gone before, and it will lead to personal growth. You know I'm right. This is not the first time you've heard this. Why is this so hard? It's because it is sooo uncomfortable!

Going against the natural state of things is hard. Just like learning to transform ourselves from the nature we are born with. For example, the thought of physical exercise is the biggest hurdle in accomplishing our goal of being fit. And once we actually begin, it feels good.  It takes us actually beginning to exercise to get us out of the comfort of sitting on the couch or lying in bed extra long in the morning.  But I say we have help. And that help comes from God and His Spirit. Believe me, you can't do it on your own.

What does this have to do with fathering or heritage? I contend that to answer the question at the top of this post we must overcome the fear and laziness that keeps us from fulfilling what we want for ourselves, our kids and our kid's families, and on and on. Fear keeps us from being open to new thoughts and taking risks-getting out of our comfort zone--one thing that just might help us put this puzzle of life together.

Do you see the value of getting out of your comfort zone? What are you doing to remove yourself from that zone? Share with us; what other attitudes can help us overcome the hard issues of life?

 dirk



Dirk

2 comments:

  1. I know what your talking about when you say comfort zone. Leaving my comfort zone of Oklahoma and moving 5,000 miles away was the most daunting thing God has ever asked me to do but it changed my relationship with Him in ways that I could never have imagined. I think about what my life would look like now had I not been obedient, I honestly don’t think I would still be a believer. I believe one attitude that helped me overcome a lot of hardship was the attitude of surrender. Just giving up really and letting Him take control. Oh it’s an amazing thing when we let God take control!

    ReplyDelete
  2. my comfort zone...hmmm...I think that is just the name I give to my "I'm really afraid to fail" and my "I'm really lazy"

    The womb was a comfortable place but there is only so much room to grow there. Then it's time to move on! We cycle through from growth to moving out and learning to use our new muscles.

    I have so much to learn and put into practice but thankfully His mercies are new every morning and I get to start over when I fail. He is all we need.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment!