Myspace, Facebook and AIM instant messaging do have security measures. And with the added accountability of a family those sites can actually be safe.
Here are some precautions we take:
· “no secret” policy. I know your password you know mine. If you’re not willing to share what you are writing you will lose your privilege.
· the computer is in the living room or another public room
· myspace has private settings that only allow your approved ‘friends” to view your page or to message you
· facebook—only your approved friends can see your page and talk to you
· AIM instant messaging – you are the one to approve or deny a message
· my boys are instructed never to speak to a person they don’t know or accept them as a “friend”
· use good judgment on the sorts of things you allow others to see (don’t post your address or phone number or other personal information)
· I check my kids’ pages daily.
Do you have some good precautions to add?