Getting on their level
Your 4 year old is being extra cranky. You’ve had your fill. He challenges your correction one more time, arguing with you and you’re losing your patience. You begin to argue with him, your voice changing to a high-pitched-not-quite-scream.
Guess what? You have sunk to the level of your 4-year-old.
I used to do this quite often, but I’ve gotten better, learning to recognize and rise above the situation.
Now, I only sink to the level of a 13 year old. = )
Here are some things Dirk helped me to remember:
1. I am the mom. My child is a child (even if they are 17)
2. It is my responsibility to train and teach them
3. Learn to quickly recognize the signs of going down this path
4. Respond rather than react—stay calm
5. Try answering, “There will be no more discussion about this”.
6. Be willing to spend the necessary time teaching a correct response to your child
7. Follow-through with consequences
Soon, you should begin to see positive changes in your child----AND in you!