Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Thoughts on Mary


I’ve been thinking about Mary, mother of Jesus this week.

Can you imagine the thoughts and feelings she must have experienced finding out that she was going to carry the long awaited Messiah? I’m sure she experienced fear and uncertainty along with morning sickness and all the accompanying child-bearing issues.

But that’s not what I’ve been thinking most about. I’ve been thinking about why she was chosen, why she was found worthy.

You see, we know she was very young, so she had not yet been tested in long-term relationships, or maybe even much temptation. In her short life, she probably hadn’t been through enough to show how she would handle adversity. She didn’t excel at the levels we may consider a “mature”, godly person to have. We sure wouldn’t have chosen her.

But God did. And I think he chose her especially for one reason.

She was willing. Willing to follow the calling on her life. Willing to obey. Willing to do whatever her Father asked of her. She was a servant. She knew the voice of her Master.

Are we willing? Do we recognize His voice enough to be able to listen? And are we even listening?

Oh, may our hearts be willing and may our spiritual ears be open to the gentle voice of our Master! That’s really all he asks of us.

8 comments:

  1. It's so true... I pray that I am a willing vessle! It's my only prayer! I want to do what HE wants me to do so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so true Robin. And really so often we make living out the christian life more complicated than it was intended to be. Our part is to be willing...to really bow our will to His...and He does the rest as we abide in Him. Sometimes it is difficult...but not complicated. Thanks for this reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good thoughts...I often find myself praying, "God, please use me today for your glory," but when He speaks, I shy away hoping He will make it easier.
    He says, "Love the unlovely" and I respond, "Are you sure you want me to do that!?!" I desire relationships but instead of fighting for them, i fight with them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, Robin, I couldn't have said it better myself. She was willing.

    I am today. I hope I still am tomorrow. And the next day. And the next...

    ReplyDelete
  5. That innocent willingness is what I admire most. I want more of that in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great comments guys! Thanks for encouraging me and each other.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this.

    I second exactly what Cindy said. I am today. I pray I am tomorrow and the next day and 6 months from now and a year from now. :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment!